Folly Farm stood on the edge of Hadley Woods, to the east of the railway line, and became a popular pleasure resort in the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s. The farm was owned by Eli Frusher, who also owned a butcher’s shop in East Barnet Road and served as a councillor for East Barnet. Donkey rides, swing boats, a helter-skelter and refreshments were provided for visitors, as can be seen in the photographs below. Children from inner London came here on Sunday School outings and were presented with flowers by local children, in ceremonies organised by the stationmaster at New Barnet. Pupils from Cromer Road School gave flowers – and on one occasion ‘bundles of rhubarb’ – each year from 1933 to 1937 ‘in accordance with the annual custom at New Barnet for presentation to the members of the party of Women & Children visiting Folly Farm today under the auspices of St Giles’s Mission & the Wheatley Homes’.
The images on this page are reproduced by the kind permission of Barnet Museum and Local History Society.